With the development of latest devices models, storage requirements are getting extended because of unlimited downloads of HD images, videos from the Internet and due to video recording storage all the time. Therefore, today Memory Card have become the most appropriate way for portable storage devices. Usually, this generation of Memory Card provide good read/write speeds with huge space at minimal cost and thus these devices are faster in speed with several capabilities. Nowadays, Memory Card has become the primary source that makes the storage portable in several media storage devices such as smartphones, tablets, digital cameras which includes Nikon, Canon, Sony etc. and many other devices. Some of the popular memory card includes the CF card, Memory Stick and xD-Picture, SD card such as SanDisk, Samsung, Sony etc.
Instead of having so many benefits, sometimes user might encounter certain errors or other issues with the Memory Card which results in inaccessibility of data. When Memory Card get corrupt, damaged or formatted, all the stored videos, photos and other files disappear. Usually, this situation cause an error message. It can leave the user in a permanent data loss if not handled properly and might cause difficulty in Memory Card recovery. Due to some reason, memory card may get damaged or corrupt which includes removal or memory card while viewing or shooting images, a power shortage or other reasons. A camera user can get error message like card locked, memory card error, card error or any other error code on the camera screen.
Besides this, memory card comes with a limited number of lifespan and therefore, it is better not to use SD card that has been used for several years.
You will failed to do anything with your camera when the following error message appears on the screen :
“SD card is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable”
Situations accountable behind Memory Card Corruption
- While trying to access your photos or videos stored on the card, you get error message – corrupt memory card or memory card error.
- When a user try to read the memory card, all folders stored in the card do not open and display an error message, ‘Read/Write error on SD card‘ which indicates that it cannot read from the device.
- Your PC recognized the memory card but you are unable to see any stored video or photo and show the error message “SD card is not formatted do you want to format it now”.
- You are able to see the contents stored in the memory card in your camera and in your system as well, but unable to copy its contents and display an error message that disk is “write-protected”.
Whenever your memory card gets corrupt, there is no guarantee of data recovery from memory card. If the memory card has physically got damage, it is not possible to repair it but a software error can be resolved using simple tips.
Try These Following Handy Fixes To Repair Corrupt Memory Card
- Insert the damaged memory card into a card reader and connect it to your computer.
- On the Windows task bar, click on the ‘Start‘ option and then choose the option ‘Computer‘.
- Under ‘Devices with Removable Storage‘ search for the memory card .
- Now hit the ‘Start‘ button and type ‘cmd‘ on the search box.
- After that, right click ‘cmd‘ and then choose ‘Run as administrator‘ option. A command window will open where you can fix the corrupt memory card.
- In the opened command window type “chkdsk” succeeded by the drive letter which is corresponding to the memory card, by a colon and /f.
- At last, press ‘Enter‘.
Note : Chkdsk will check for all possible errors and try to fix the damaged or corrupt memory card. Follow the messages displayed in the command prompt and lastly check your assigned drive to the memory card in order to verify whether the files have recovered or not.
If nothing worked, then visit this site to accommodate more information in order to recover photos from corrupt memory card – http://www.jpeg-recovery.org